Friday, January 2, 2015

Underneath It All


For most questions you might have, you would already have the answer for it. It could be deep down, it could be at a mid-range depth or it might have already surfaced waiting for you to recognize that it is the answer or solution youve been looking for. 

For my birthday, i wanted to try something different and face my fear of drowning. So i went diving. 

During the assessment, the one rule that keeps coming up was 'dont forget to breathe!' And 'remember to keep breathing'. You can imagine other variations that carry the same context. 

My practical pragmatic side tends to get annoyed when it comes to stating the obvious (though this is a habit that i constantly indulge in). 

It was only during my first dive that i came to the realization that when emotion kicks in and you're surrounded by unfamiliar setting, you tend to lose track of things you already know. It doesnt matter if it's common sense. Emotions do not take heed of logical reasonings, unfortunately.

So there i was kicking around in the water (half thinking i was gonna die, half amazed at the underwater beauty). I was unable to equalize and 'balance myself out'. Suddenly, something as natural as breathing becomes a completely alien concept. 

I also feel that's sort of what happens to me when i fall in love. When I lose control, answers i already have morph into questions again. (Half feeling like i was gonna die and half absolutely amazed at the undersurface beauty).

You and i, we can either get fixated on our fear or we can focus on the beauty. And breathe.

Remember to breathe.

"Don't be afraid of your fears, they're not there to scare you; they are there to let you know that something is worth it."

No comments: